I tried adding some heavy-duty 3M vinyl sheet to the tank to cover up the ghosted Can-Am decals. It went on impressively well and looked great initially, but it kept developing bubbles over time. I understand that this is a common issue with plastic tanks, which can be liquid-tight while not creating an absolutely, 100% vapor-proof barrier. So it all came off, and I tried some perforated vehicle wrap instead. It solves the problem of trapped vapor lifting the decal, but it is much more brittle and fragile. That made it much trickier to apply, and it doesn’t look nearly as nice. I also could not apply my faux Panther tank decals over it. But as with everything else on this bike, the way forward was to adapt to what the bike told me it wanted.
And with that, I am calling this project complete. The bike works as well and looks as good as it probably ever will. So here is The Bride’s official completion gallery.
Click on any image to view a larger resolution version in a new window.